Monday, December 22, 2008

Walking on Water

Frozen water, that is. I ventured out today after having to stay in yesterday due to inclement weather. One day of not going outside, and I already had cabin fever. Could have gone out yesterday but it was 5 below and the wind was howling at 40 - 50 mph. Crazy, isn't it? Wind chills of 35 below. Now that's cold. And, not safe to go outside.

But today it was 9 degrees when I left the house, my destination, the public library 5 blocks away. Normally about a 10 - 15 minute walk. But today, after the big ice and slush storm and then the immediate drop in temperature to below zero, everything, and I mean everything, was solid ice. Thick, uneven ice such that you get when deep slush freezes sudden and solid. Even the tree lawns and the yards, though looking deceptively safe and snow covered, were solid ice. I could crash through for traction with the heel of my steeled shank boot, but it was jarring and one time, felt like my knee was going out from the force.

The only "safe" place to walk was the middle of the road, and it was sketchy. The trucks came out last night and spread some material as they call it, but it was no match for the frigid temps and the extremely thick ice that has formed. Some stretches of sidewalk look invitingly safe, but in actuality are coated with clear, thick, super smooth ice, the kind of ice the Zamboni driver can only dream of, and would be great for ice skating. Watch out!

Walking down the middle of the street was the only way, but when a car came along, I had to get over to the side, the side that was bumpy, super slick solid ice with a coating of small ice chunks that had fallen out of the trees during the wind yesterday. I would gingerly ease my way over, never taking my eyes off my path for to do so could mean that nasty fall that really, really hurts either your knee, your elbow, your wrist or your hip; sometimes your head if you fall and get that back lash that sends your head to the ground. Be very, very careful.

The walk took 45 minutes of tense, mindful walking but the warmth and welcome of the library was worth it. Picked out a couple of books, a lovely one by Rachel Carson, and sat in the comfortable chair reading and relaxing, getting warm and listening to a child remind the librarian which books he had checked out. Stocked up on some good titles and even found three free books in the free boxes in the foyer. Gotta stock up for the next ice storm heading our way and arriving tomorrow and into Wednesday.

Then the walk home. Stayed right on the main streets this time, right down the middle, and made it in a half hour. The sky was a brilliant blue and the tops of the trees sparkled with ice that hadn't been blown down. It was a visual gift from Mother Nature, a phenomenon unparalleled by anything I've ever seen. I kept having to stop and look up and around, for the sun shining on that ice was awe inspiring. That could contribute to the longer amount of walking time as well, all the minutes I stood looking up and around with my mouth hanging open.

Made it back safe and sound, no falls and only one slight slip, but deeply moved by the beauty of the ice and deeply awed by the power of nature and the weather.

And the humans think they are in control.

No comments: