Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Shake it up Baby

In the college snack bar where I work, we have one of those free-standing Coke coolers with the clear glass doors so you can easliy find the Coke product of your desire. It has oh, I guess, about 7 shelves with 10 rows on each shelf and each row holds 10 of your favorite Coke products from classic Coke to Rockstar!, an energy drink which contains the caffene of 10 regular caffinated soda drinks.

Yesterday, about 10 minutes into my shift during "meal exchange" - the time when students on the regular meal plan can eat in the snack bar because either 1) they missed the regular meal time due to class or whatever or 2) they don't like what's being served in the regular cafeteria - a student commented that the Coke cooler seemed a little sticky. Yesterday the line was out the door for 2 straight hours. "Just don't look up" was the advice I received when I first started working there. Anyway, I came around the counter to investigate.

Oh my gosh! The wall and ceiling and floor around the cooler as well as the whole entire 6 foot by 3 foot cooler was covered with a nice splash pattern, such as would be created by someone vigorously shaking up a large bottle of Coke and then putting their finger over the hole to increase the explosive impact of the carbonated liquid, carefully aiming to ensure total coverage. Coke was all over the inside of the cooler too, on the front of the bread case, which is a clear glass warmer that displays the different kinds of bread you can choose for your sandwich or pizza, on the wall back behind the counter where we work and clear over by the register.

"What the hell......." I said, mostly under my breath. The cooler door was stuck shut and took two football player types to help me open it. "What happened?" I asked my co-workers, who had been there all day.

They knew nothing and it was time for their shift to end. They left quickly with their heads down. I could hear their shoes making that sound shoes make when walking through something sticky on a tile floor.

About that time the supervisor decided to stop by. She must have had a bad day because she lit into me about the importance of keeping the area clean and looking good and how could I just let this happen and do nothing about it? What could I say? She was right. I just stood there and took it.

My shift ends at 11pm and normally I leave there by 11:30. Last night I got home at 1am feeling like I had left a war zone. Every bottle of drink in that cooler was covered with sticky dried Coke, not to mention the shelves, the things that hold the shelves up, the whirring vent thing, the exhaust slats on the front. I am now intimately aquainted with Coke cooler model XFG4106.

It's a nice big cooler but it has a lit of little parts.

No comments: