Tuesday, February 19, 2013

The Puppy

Farm sitting in Indiana - something I do for friends each February while they go to Florida for a bit of respite from the cold winds, cold temperatures and ice and snow.  This amounts to making sure pipes don't freeze and the care and feeding of the domestic pets.

It is beautiful here on the farm.  I love the Indiana countryside in winter - the lacy, leafless trees and the outlines of the gentle, sloping land become apparent without the dressings of leaves and farm crops.  The howling winds and snow bring back good memories of childhood, playing outside until the last light of day, sledding, skating, not even noticing the cold until the thaw begins inside the warmth of the house, fingers, toes and nose tingling as the body returns to normal temperature.

This is my fourth year of farm sitting.  The previous years' domestic pets included two elderly dogs, Otto the beautiful silver German Shepard,and Liza, a gentle Huskey mix, and a variety of barn cats who have come and gone over the years.  Last year, Otto and Liza both went to the place where good dogs go when they die and in came Felix, the classic German Shepard puppy and a new round of barn cats.

Otto and Liza mostly hung around the barnyard, sleeping in the snow and on the frozen ground, coming inside at night and sleeping on the back porch.  In the first couple of years, Otto was still able and willing to hike the long farm lane back into the fields and down to the stream/ditch, but last year, due to failing hips, he was unable to make the trek.  Liza was always crippled with old joints but would slowly make her way as far as she could, usually meeting up with us as we were returning.  I worried about her getting stuck out there but she always made it back, and we would try to go more slowly with her but she was so slow, usually we went on back and sure enough, she would come hobbling home.  Trying to keep her from the walks was of no use, and I figured, she enjoyed it or she would retain her spot on top of a snow drift or in the yard somewhere.

Now, it is a new world order on the farm!  Now there is Felix, the full grown, huge puppy, who, when looking at him, one would not know he is only 10 months old and so, would expect much better behavior, but Felix is a puppy and acts like one.  What is required is a lot of time and attention, consistency and lots and lots of love and calmness.  Felix is very smart and learns quickly, and is very eager to please.  He is my new buddy and I shall greatly miss him when my time on the farm is over.

It has been like having a toddler all over again - keeping him away from things he would love to tear up, just for the curiosity of it; puppy proofing the porch so he can be safe and successful there, long walks to expel some of that endless energy, and leash working with Brian, the trainer, to help him have better manners and learn some boundaries.  Boundaries such as not jumping up in my face nor nipping at my hands every chance he gets.  Learning how to be calm on the porch and not jump incessantly at the door.  Sitting, staying and heel.  These are the things we have been working on.

It has been hilarious watching Felix learn about ice, and it has been inspiring watching him learn the boundaries of his farm.  I feel like a young mother, at home most days with my toddler and so, whenever I get around people, I talk incessantly about him, what he did today, what he has learned.  All I need is a wallet filled with pictures to further bore the people who have the misfortune to invite me over or out.

But working with Felix has helped me learn about myself.  Helped me practice patience, calmness, and unconditional love.  Even when an old pillow got destroyed and billions of foam pieces were strewn about the back porch, even at the beginning when he would jump up and bang into my lip, causing it to bleed and swell, even when, before I figured out the best way to barricade the many boxes and items my friends have stacked on the porch, sneaky Felix would figure out how to get to them and knock them over and drag the box contents out all over the porch and yard.  One day I found a bra and a pair of long underwear in the yard - where did these items come from?  Only Felix knows for sure.

But with time and patience and work, Felix has calmed down, no longer jumps or nips, and has transformed into a loving, fun and fairly well behaved dog.  It has been great practice for me to be his calm teacher, singing Buddhist mantras out loud as we walk the fields - Felix just looks and cocks his head from side to side - realizing that his mistakes are not intentional nor malicious, but simply mistakes made on the path of learning.  With time and patience and work, perhaps I shall transform my own life into one where I become more loving, fun and fairly well behaved.

Teachers are everywhere, even in the form of 10 month old puppies.

Namaste, Felix!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

thus is the spiritual gift of animals God bless them all

Re-Imagine That! said...

I so loved reading this! Your writing is beautiful Kathy!