Saturday, January 10, 2009

Mexican Snow Boots

When I left Mexico for the mid-west, I stopped in the port city for one last look around the "Secundas", the second hand shops. There is a 5 or 6 block section of the town that is only these second hand shops. You can find some real treasures there if you are patient and look carefully.

And there they were. The snow boots I had in my vision of the type of snowboots I wanted to weather the winter in the mid west. Snowland, the label on the inside said, with a little caricature of a person skiing. Brown with fake fur tongue, above the ankle with the patterned piping that would put you in mind of the Alps, well, it did me, anyway.

Being this was Mexico, and a part of Mexico where they don't get any snow, I wondered how the boots ended up there. The manufacturer figured out just how to make the soles so that they don't slip at all, well, unless you are walking in conditions like the last ice storm when even my friend's railroad ice boots were ineffective. They are lined with the fake fur and made from some waterproof material on the outside that keeps the heat in and are so comfortable, fit me like a glove.

I love my Mexican snow boots.

No comments: