Thursday, November 20, 2008

The Dish Room

Personally, I think the people in the dish room hold all the power. Need those 4 inch pans? The wire whisks? How about those precious plastic food storage containers? If they don't like you, they will shove all the tools you need over to the side and pretend they can't hear you over the noise of the automated dish washers. Maybe they really can't.

I just asked them the first day, what is the correct proceedure for leaving dishes in the dish room? They all happily told me. I always profusely thank them for their very hard work. Sweating, lifting those huge stock pots and heavy skillets, trying to keep up with the meal hours when there are several thousand students piling endless dishes and eating utensils, glasses, coffee cups and discarded paper products into the conveyor that is sheilded by a nice wall so you can't actully see the dishwashers. But they are there, just on the other side of that wall. Yes they are, and if they don't like you, you can just forget it.

The dishwashers in this particular dish room have been in their positions for over 10 years, all of them. One of them, for 20 years! When I first wanted to work there, I wanted to work in the dish room, but they said, well there is a waiting list for the dish room. And, my college degree didn't mean shit.

No comments: